The CAMTB Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Journey
As a community of trail stewards, advocates, and leaders in California, we are committed to bringing D.E.I. to the forefront of our work and helping our members address it both collectively across the state, as well as individually in our members’ respective regions.
- Diversity – All the differences between us based on advantages or barriers to opportunity. Diversity isn’t just about racial differences.
- Equity – Allocating resources to ensure everyone has access to the same opportunities. Equity recognizes that advantages and barriers—the ‘isms’—exist.
- Inclusion – Fostering a sense of belonging by centering, valuing, and amplifying the voices, perspectives and styles of those who experience more barriers based on their identities.
The Trail Ahead
To that end, CAMTB is initiating its own D.E.I. Journey, or the process of embedding Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (D.E.I.) principles & practices into the fabric of our organization. Together, with our member community, we will be undertaking the following in 2022 and ongoing:
- Engaging the CAMTB Board of Directors and the leadership of our Member Community
- Designing supporting infrastructure and creating a D.E.I. Committee
- Establish a shared understanding of D.E.I.
- Craft our D.E.I. statement
- Identifying our commitments
- Developing our action
- Creating key performance indicators (KPIs)
- Getting expert & community support
- Inspiring & engaging your whole team
- Reviewing, renewing, and updating our action plan each year to reflect the changing needs of our community
D.E.I. Commitment Areas
In partnership with the CAMTB D.E.I. Committee, we will evaluate which commitment areas we feel we can take meaningful action over the next 12 months and make a public pledge outlining our organizational commitments around Culture, Audience, and Communities. See below for these defined, as well as specific actions we will be considering in the coming year.